Saturday, August 15, 2009

Just landed in the Hub City

I flew to Dallas Friday afternoon for a seminar on Upward Basketball. It is a youth basketball program that is nationwide geared towards ministering to kids through the game of basketball. I flew back to the Hub @ 7pm today. I was only gone for a short 24 hour trip and I had some down time last night and today to reflect on how much I love my family, friends and living in Lubbock. I started thinking about this from the time I put the garage door down to head to the airport on Friday afternoon. I could never have a job that required me to work out of town for any period of time because I am a 100% home body that deathly hates change.

A few thoughts:

1. Christiane and Ava. I'd be totally lost without them. They make me "go" and I love being their leader. I do what I do everyday to make their life the very best it can be.
2. Lubbock. I always get a kick out of flying into my hometown. Coming from the East, you pass by White River Lake and a few hundred crop circles formed by center pivots. Upon landing I always hear people that are making connecting flights whisper, "where are the other planes?"or "is that what they call an airport?". I want to say to them, "you dang right, it's one heck of a hometown". When I walk out the sliding doors at LIA to walk to my vehicle, my blood pressure instantly drops and I'm back in "Lubbock Mode". The air is lighter, I can see further, it feels cooler, its quieter, and there's usually a breeze blowing. I can usually make it home in 15 minutes without ever hitting a traffic light.

Lubbock truly is the Giant Side of Texas and I cant wait to "grow up" with my hometown.

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment